An evening with Chetan Bhagat!!!!

On wednesday, the 23rd december 08.. One of my Orissa frnd, Deb, had booked a seat for “Chetan Bhagat interview” in Trident.. Deb was new to the place n so I told I wil drop him since its on my way home.. He said “Hey sada y don u come too.. we wont hav any problem wit the seats n all.. we can manage dude.. come on..”.. It was a temptin offer n so we headed to the show.. the show was slated to start at 1830 hrs.. But we reached the hotel only by 1920hrs bcos of the traffic snarls.

We got a seat to sit n it was a funny interview all along.. Chetan was really a super cool head.. he answered all questions very patiently with a smile n tickled a bone once too many.. Being an IIT/IIM-A graduate definitely needs praise.. He is a Hong kong resident is a banker.. he works in HSBC, Hong kong.. Chetan is married to Anusha, his classmate from IIM-A and has twin boys Ishaan and Shyam.Hmmm.. He dint seem tat studious.. He was jus a common man whom I could easily relate to.. Jus a causal brown T-shirt n jean.. He was his casual self.. Success dint go to his head n I don tink it wil ever go.. He has been the symbol of the gen-next and is very much a chocolate boy!!!!

Have read only one of his 3 books but was deeply impressed wit his “5 point someone”.. Some said his other books are not so good.. some said all r superb.. Hmm.. waitin to read his writings..

Many good questions were asked like:
Ques: Were u ever stuck up while writin a book.. and hav u ever felt “Oh my god!!! Why did I write this book???”
CB: I never get stuck up.. its like when I start writin a story I hav all the ingredients intact.. I dunno from were it comes but it jus comes frm my mind.. It jus flows.. And the book “One night at the call center” is the book which made me think y did I ever start one such story.. I was thinkin how could anyone bring dramatical in a single night?? Once after 2 am I Was wonderin wat was I goin to fill the book with!!

Ques: Why is that ur books always hav the sex quotient??
CB: I don intentionally fill them in.. I jus add only when the story requires it.. I jus write abt casual sex n it will never be at a stage where u will feel disgustin.. u would only smile on readin that.. That’s how I write..

Ques: Ur the youth icon.. hav u ever advised any politician???
CB: I once meet ppl frm the BJP.. I told tat them instead of criticizing the current UPA govt why not u ppl portray wat u want to do to the ppl to make India a better place..

Ques: In ur book “3 big mistakes” did u notice tat u made a big logical error abt Harbhajan?? How can you make a mistake about an incident which is so famous???
CB: Oh yes I have.. and ur not the first person askin this.. I tink u must be some 157th.. first I need to apologise for writin it wrong.. actually I m not a die-hard cricket fan n all.. I jus no the game n had tat incident comin up in my mind while writin.. Instead of writing Harbhajan took a hat-trick in the 1st innings I had written 2nd innings.. It was my mistake.. But I don tink it took away the essence of the story.. And moreover, I dint change it in my 2nd or 3 editions too.. I jus left it.. Wats this guys, Sachin gets out at 0 many times.. Mistakes happen.. we are all ordinary humans.. and you wood be surprised to hear tat there is a flaw in “5 point someone” but I don tink many wood hav noticed it.. In tat book, Neha has her b’day fallin on dec 1.. and I wood hav a line written like “On a cold December winter night I come.. “, it goes like tat.. I once got a mail sayin.. “How can it be December when ur still on the 30th of November.. It should have been cold november night!!!”.. what can I say to this..


Ques: So can we say that u dint do ur homework properly??
CB: Ha ha.. Of course tats the truth.. U no guys Aishwarya Rai wasn’t like Jodha in Jodha Akbar.. The actual Jodha is fat and short.. but Aish!!! She was definitely not so.. u cant complain for this!!!

Ques: what were some of the good remarks you got???
CB: Actually some ppl were of the notion tat IIT-ians r borin ppl who don’t like fun.. but my book broke all the rules.. I even got a mail sayin tat a girl accepted to marry an IIT-ian after readin the book.. ha ha.. Tats one of my good complements!!!

Ques: Wats the most weird question u hav got??
CB: Why does Neha not remain a virgin in ur novels!!!! And they even ask me how does sex comes particularly on the 200th page of ur books!!! I seriously don hav a clue!!!

Ques: Now tat ur books are being made to movies, when can we see the director in you??
CB: Oh my god.. I have never thought of that before!! I like only the chetan in me who is the writer n not the director.. u no being a writer has lot of advantages.. I can kill my character on the 25th page if I want.. no one to question me.. Ha ha.. but being a director!!! Gosh!! Saw Atul suffer a lot durin “Hello” which was a movie on “One night.. “.. Being a director you need to consult many heads even before I make a move.. and callin a heroine to come to the studios!!! My god, I tink tats really a poor job.. I hav seen in front of my eyes.. so I don tink I wil direct one but I may go into production..

Ques: This may sound personal.. but I wood like to ask.. Ur basically a very busy writer n banker.. How does to wife take when ur too busy to care for the family.. not even replyin to her questions??
CB: Ha ha.. tat has hpnd a lot of times.. she doesn’t scold me guys!! I m happy for tat.. I have even called her Neha and Priyanka (those were the girl characters in his first 2 novels) many times.. she gets real irritated.. now I feel she is able to accept my work pressure.. when I decide to write a novel, I send her to S’pore or Mumbai and I stay in Hong kong for 3 months n write one..

Ques: When can v expect ur fourth?? And what genre is it??
CB: Hmmm u can expect it next yr.. Some ppl said that girl characters don hav much role in my stories.. I have taken tat into consideration.. U can expect a romantic comedy!!!

It was a super cool evening with him in Trident.. Took photos n got an autograph frm him..

It wood help me some time in future when he comes n meets me.. I can show him n say “Hello sir.. I hav met u *yrs before n u signed it for me!!!! And I stil hav it”

Comments

Popular Posts