The mystery continues..

It was a very hot may afternoon in my native and almost all my family members were in temple for a function.. Lunch jus got over and people were moving here and there.. The crowd was huge and with the place being small, it got suffocated.. I was waiting to go home.. I was tired because of the midnight journey and I was sitting with my back to the pillar.. Not many were sittin around me.. My sister sat straight opposite to me and some old people around.. I think I jus closed my eyes for 2min and when I opened everythin around me seemed to hav changed.. I mean I was not in some wonderland, but a good lookin gal in yellow chudidhar seemed to capture all the attention.. I jus kept watchin her solemn eyes which were full of myriad emotions, her fairness which would make actress Nadhiya cringe, her homeliness which would surely topple Sneha.. Only after a few min did I realize that nothing much had changed except for her.. It was only my perception that had changed.. She was sittin beside a young kid feeding him.. She was so beautiful.. She looked like she must be doing her under graduation.. But her age was defying it.. She had a loneliness in her which I liked the most.. To be terse and realistic, she was poetic.. I dunno if she even glanced at me.. But I must have made more than a few deliberate ones..

I wondered if she looked good to my eyes alone or to others eyes too.. Whom to ask, Whom to ask, Whom to ask.. Hmmm.. I just realized my sister would suit the bill.. “Hey sis, does the gal beside you look good??” And surprise surprise she said “Yes, of course..” Wow.. Yuppee… I was jumpin in the air.. Thank god I was not hallucinating!!!!

I was lookin at her for a few min when my dad called us to pack for home.. Jus a few min back I was longing to get back home but now I was totally reluctant.. I couldn’t buy time since everyone got on to the car.. With a disappointment got in the car and was wonderin what a gal she was, she suited my height, my age, my taste, my family (since she too being a chettiar), and what more she suited all my perfect description of a gal.. How come I got everythin right, somewhere something must be wrong.. I thought I was missin something.. Its very rare to find wat we like very soon.. If it comes to us soon we better check the track we are on bcos we may miss some link.. Nothin comes for free in this world.. It must have some catch..

Our car came to a screeching halt jus outside the gates of the temple to worship another god there.. And almost that same moment my heart beat also came to a sandy stop.. Wat hav I been doin so long!!! Holy god!!!

The biggest problem in chettiar family is the tradition that is being followed.. All chettiars are split into 9 temples.. When u meet someone from the same temple, he/she becomes ur own brother/sister.. The gal whom you goin to marry must necessarily be from any of the other 8 temples..

With she coming to the temple today I had a very bad feelin in my stomach.. So now where to clear this naggin doubt.. Whom to ask, Whom to ask, Whom to ask.. Hmmm.. My mother was walkin in front of me and a few uncles of mine up front.. I jus casually asked “Are the people here from the same temple or different temple??”.. My mother added to my dismay by sayin “Yes”.. I felt I had a thorn in my throat.. I dunno how I was feelin.. I was dejected, disappointed, exasperated!!!!

Jus then a person nearby who was a close relation of mine said that I must be appreciated for askin.. She said so bcos the tradition was dyin and that she felt that I had taken the extra care to know.. She appreciated me for it.. Only my sister and I know why I took that extra care!!!!!

She came like the wind and went like the wind…

I was messagin my frnd abt my sorry state of affairs and was venting my emotions on why am I not lucky enough??? I hav been seein a sister for so long..!!!

That night I had a train to catch and in the evenin nothing hpnd much except for my continual disappointment.. Though for the fact that I dint speak a letter to her and I dint no who the heck she was, I was unusually subdued.. I mean like I hav seen many good lookin girls but no one came as close as her to match all of it.. So near yet so far..

Once we boarded the train, I asked my mother again why was there so much of rush today in temple than ever before.. She said that two groups of people had come today..

What 2??? 2??? There should be only 1!!!! Hmmm.. I could see some light in my corner..

Seems like the other group of people were from a different back ground n that they may be from different temples too.. Only those who came from my native belonged to the same temple.. I was happy that it was not the end of the road, but only a bend in the road..

I may hav missed her today, but next time if I get a chance to meet her, I would go straight up to her confident and bold and ask “Excuse which temple do you belong to????”

If she says any temple other than mine… Oh my god.. I m already in disneyland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts