Elevation to Godhood..

Once I read a good story about a thief.. A rich man boards a train along with a suitcase full of cash.. The thief occupies the seat opposite to him.. The thief senses the man opposite to him is very rich and makes plans to rob him.. The rich man then takes his suitcase to the restroom, comes back and goes again.. He does this a few times and this makes the thief convinced that the money was in the suitcase and that the man was changing places.. Once everyone was asleep he goes to all the places and searches for the money.. Once he couldn’t find the money in the restroom, he searches the rich guy's seat, his suitcase, nearby seats etc.. But alas, he could not find it.. The sun wakes up from its slumber and so does the rich man.. Confounded, the thief confides to the man that he is a thief, and that he had planned to rob him but couldn’t succeed.. He also asked the man to tell him where the money was. Not to rob him but to know the place where he had missed.. The rich man smiles, gets up, takes the money which was kept under the thief's pillow and goes out..

The moral: Look under your own basket before searchin outside..

I assume that many would be playing "The Thief" searching all around the world.. We always have the impression that things far from us are better what we have in our hand.. We don’t give importance to what is around us.. I was the victim of it too..

Only in the later stages of the first decade of the 21st century did I realize the importance of 2 people and their telling impact..

Greatness and glory.. Some people have this even before they are born.. Some strive hard to reach that.. Others may never reach even if they try..

The following 2 people have strived hard to reach that status and as the days whistle past, that crown glitters like never before.. Their impact on me cannot be expressed in words.. It's ineffable..

One the undisputed king and the other a very lovable queen.. But both are miles apart from each other and diverse characters..

One has created a huge difference to his community by his forthright attitude.. His presence has been a source of comfort to all.. Though initially his words may not be acceptable to a few, but on the long term he definitely is bang on target.. One day in the very near future, you will realize how true his words were.. Both good and bad..

The other person was a born rich but fate brought in its ugly hand and threw the boat out of shape.. It took her many years, almost her lifetime: to find the pieces back, to mend that boat and bring it back to sea.. The sailor is no long..

Persistence, patience, integrity, attitude, diligence, humility and affability is what unites them apart from them being in-laws.. One my Grandfather (Dad's dad ) and the other my Grandma (Mother's mother)..

My grandpa was born in a good family, with many brothers and sisters.. His initial life was a struggle with many mouths to feed.. He would have to work his skins out every possible day to survive.. Mending shoes, playing the kind brother, being a good son.. He had many roles to enact.. His only plan for the long term: Business.. He started leather business and made the right choices.. He was a chain smoker and a drunkard too.. But that was not for long.. He quit both and had special emphasis on his health.. After all, a role model must be a complete one..
Once during my eighth grade I was gettin ready for school and was busy puttin my shoes.. I usually polish my shoes after I wear it.. That day was no exception and I went inside to fetch the shoe polish.. My grandpa was sittin in the corridor and told me to come to him with the polish.. By that time I had already started shivering.. I have tremendous respect for my grandpa and that comes out many times as fear too.. He took the brush and started polishin my shoes.. I was bewildered!!! My grandpa polishin my shoe!! I couldnt even imagine.. I started to refuse but he wouldn’t budge.. He said "I was once a cobbler" and he then took a white cloth and rubbed the shoe.. That was the day I saw my old shoes shine like never before..

For some reason, that incident is still fresh in my mind..

Years went past.. Come 2006 and 2009.. I could easily say these years were stand out years from my life.. These years dint teach me what to do in my life but "what not to do".. These were the years I had the chance to interact with my grandpa in close quarters.. That seemed to the only benefit from the financial crisis which distressed my family.. During that time, I came to see him as a different person.. As an ideologist, as a human being, as revolutionist at times and most importantly character.. He always faced the devil in the eye.. Sometimes we feel that our imaginations may be more cruel than reality.. So it is better to face a bad thing right at its face rather than hide under a bushel.. He has mastered that lesson.. So he is ready to accept whatever comes as its effect.. That can be attributed to his forte he has created.. So when the ripples of the crisis came flooding back in Oct'09 I had found a Godfather..

He was the person who refused my MBA admit in 2008.. He just said "Do MBA after 2 yrs. Not now.. I will make u study and my blessings be with you".. I cannot forget those words.. At that time I saw this a blockade.. I felt my future wood be much better in an average B-school than at TCS.. Today, I thank all the gods that he stopped me.. Else I would have graduated from an ordinary B-school, just like a million others who graduate every year, without knowing the value of a real MBA grad..

I was staying at my grandpa's house for around 2 months.. The months before my 2009 MBA entrance.. I was preparing very seriously for my exams and had my mocks in-between.. It was a real hard time with persistent cries.. Once a person comes n cries, it is pretty difficult to concentrate on your work immediately.. I was badly affected by it.. Though I keep tellin myself to concentrate, a considerable time was lost.. I m thankful now that only a considerable time was lost instead of the complete 24 hrs a day.. My grandpa braved all the threats and brought us to safety even if that means to give a part of his hard and well earned money.. His only priority: Family and children come first.. He interacted with me what is good for a person and how he must never go back from his present position.. His status in society must be beyond reproach etc.. These lessons may be known to many people but when we experience a situation ourselves, we realize its profound lesson.. That was exactly the case with me.. Though we may read millions of books about character, wealth, social status etc it cannot match one real time experience.. If not for him, I m not sure if I would be having my dad alive today.. Now I realize that though he scolds a lot, they are not without content.. He has got good foresight.. Somethin which I lack..

Once we were back on the shore, safe and sound he was a completely new person to me.. After I read the novel, "The Godfather", my grandpa in essence became one to me.. I found many similarities to Vito Corleone and my grandpa.. The resemblance was striking.. I did understood that he was always around, it is just that I dint realize..

The other person, My Grandma, was very close to me right from my childhood.. Her affection for me is an open secret.. With me being the first grandson for both of them I do get a lot of lime light.. I was always given a carte blanche by her.. She always has thoughts about us.. I have never seen her get angry.. Her demeanor was completely personified.. To the world I m known as Sada and to them to "Karthi".. Sometimes I like my pen name much more than my real name..

It is said when the weather is calm, a storm is going to approach.. The storm dint leave them at peace for nearly 10 years.. This was another financial disaster.. My grandma and my uncle had to sell their house and stay in some anonymous location for a few months and then again in a relative's house for 2yrs before moving to a dilapidated house.. Their struggle for existence cannot be said in words.. Year on year went past before my uncle single handedly resolved all issues and began to rise the social ladder.. My Grandma was confined to the four walls of the house and dint show up except for extremely important events.. Even during all this time, she used to call us and enquire how we are.. They might have been without money, but definitely not without love, compassion, dignity and humility..

That sets them apart from most people who are stingy in both their money and love.. They are constantly alarmed that if they spend both they will not get them back.. How sad.. In reality it is actually the vice versa..

Every time I go to her house in native, I would be given a king's respect.. Her fish curry is one of the best I have ever tasted.. I m sure her dishes will be unparalleled with her love, which is the major ingredient of all the dishes..

I would go to her home every summer hols.. Even before we reach there she would always ask when was our next hols.. I was present there during the school days but once after college I couldn’t dedicate much time.. Once after work, I literally couldn’t.. But her enquiries dint.. She wood always call everyday and tell me to go slow in bike, take care of mother, be a good boy etc..
I remember a funny incident during one of my school hols.. It was a hot sunny afternoon.. She prepared lunch for us and kept it in the kitchen.. She went into the kitchen to get the food.. I went to the kitchen and told I will help.. She said "No karthi.. u go n sit.. I will bring.." I dint give in.. She said" Ok take it.. But make sure u don’t drop it mid way..".. By that time I went mid way and dropped it.. The whole curry, which she made, spilled on the floor and couldn’t be used.. I was shocked and thought I was going to get scoldings.. My mother already started scolding me but on the other hand my grandma burst out laughing.. We were all surprised to see her laugh.. She jus said "He is a small kid.. This is just curry.. We can make a new one.. No probs" and she continued laughing..

She became very ill during the last stages of her life.. Her nerve cells got damaged n she couldn’t speak and was bed ridden as most parts of her body stopped functioning.. She had wanted to tell many things before she passed away but alas all her words have been taken to the grave now..
She had been in my home for treatment the same day last year.. I feel very guilty that I had not been able to gift her even a simple sari.. She has given me lots of moments to cherish, I could have got her something from my earning.. She would have been happy.. But it is too late..

Our mind is the most corrupt of all.. If we plan to do somethin it must be done at that very moment.. Why postpone it when it can be done today.. Never procrastinate.. Mind forgets gratitude.. It all happens without our notice..

Both their lives have been big lessons for me.. Never give in for money: Doing it with a full heart is much important than everythin.. Never give up your dignity at any cost.. If u want something, do it urself.. You need support only when you feel you can’t manage alone.. Do everythin by urself so that u learn a valuable lesson.. Don’t waste the lesson by delegating the work to others..

Whatever u study, whatever degree you have beside your name your common sense is much more important than everything.. Anybody can study, but one cannot acquire common sense in a day.. etc.. The lessons I have learnt from them are etched in me forever..

Waiting for more lessons..

Comments

vasanth said…
Sada it was simply superb !!! Best post of yours .. A string of Emotions penned down beautifully :) Wish you a great future ahead with a nice package of lessons :) Good luck buddy :)

Cheers

Vasanth
Unknown said…
Hey Sada...It was excellently written. Captured all those moments and experiences beautifully. Hope u continue writing many more such posts and wish you a great time ahead.

Popular Posts