Expect the 'unexpected'

A couple of weeks back my dad asked me 'I m going to meet the astrologer. Do you want to ask anything to him?'

My interviews got over and I was awaiting results when he asked me this. Well I would asked him but then many people told that I would join MBA last season itself. Yet that dint happen. So why ask again when I will know the truth by myself in a few days. I refrained myself from asking and stayed away from the delusions. Anyways, my dad knew what I wanted and asked him about me.

He said 'Your son will get admit from an unexpected college at an unexpected time'..

Ever since he told me that I had been contemplating on those lines.

Unexpected time?? Oh my god, then my name will be in wait list is it? dunno when it will get confimed then... bad..

Unexpected college? Oh shit.. so I had a bad interview in XYZ college. ABC went great.. so ABC will flop and I will get XYZ???

I was going bonkers. I also understood that I was getting into a paradox. I know my bad interview wont get me XYZ.. So ABC is in my minds.. But if I expect ABC to come how can I say that as unexpected.?? So now I expect XYZ to convert but still if I expect how can it be unexpected.

This was precisely the reason why I chose to refrain myself.

Out of my calls, one college was totally off my list. They conducted essay writing, GD and interview.

The interview was on the day of Indo-Pak semifinal in WC 2011. I was at IIM Bangalore pondering over my essay.

Topic: Women's reservation

One word came to my mind : Shit.
Only thing I knew is that some people were fighting for 33% reservation for women. When I m already a victim of backward class reservation, the last thing I want in this world is another f***ing reservation. But wait where will they implement? In what stage it is? Has it been passed? I dont know anything in detail. Jus bits n pieces. I took a different stand and went about it on surface. Like drawing a circle and running on its perimeter itself n never bothering to get into the area. (Later came to knew that it's the hallmark of a true manager)

Next came Group discussion.

Topic: Paperless office - myth or reality.

12 ppl. 2 (along with yours truly) - Myth. 10 - reality. All I can say is it was crap. Over in 7 min. After sometime nobody knew what to talk.

Next came interview.

They asked me many questions. I answered somethin and it was all over in 7 min. They even said 'Sada can you tell us more about yourself so that we could guage you better'. I dont remember much what happened inside as I had already dropped the college.

Went to coffee day. Had a brownie. Then went to barista and had a pizza and washed it down with a smooothie and headed home.

Results were not expected until 20th april 2011.

I was all set to watch a few movies on the night of 17th April when my phone rang. It was my office-cum-cat mate.

He - Hi da.. how you doin?

Me - Fine da.. Enna machi wat u expect with results?

He - Dunno man. Madras is my hope. IIT KGP had called me too.. they conducting more interviews for some seats.

Me - Oh why? Wait let me check Pagalguy.
(site opens)

Me - Machi XLRI results out da.. I missed XAT horribly. Machi dai IMI has come too.. had my worst interview there..

He - Chuma check the list da.

(PDF opens. I key in my name and adobe search goes. Stop. Name flashes)

Me - What the fuck!!! Machi I guess someone by the same name there.

He - Loose.. Check the CAT number

Me - Machi!! Mine da..

So now it stands as IMI converted.

I feel relaxed now and took time off to think on how could they have selected me. My name shouldnt be there in the first place.

Hmmm.. May be because

  • I was a typical manager there. Even when I dint know wat to do, I kept an air around me that I knew.

  • I spoke when I wanted to.

  • I kept smiling all around. (Well it's no big deal for me. In 2008, I was in my first interview and they told me 'Sada, you dont even know 3 business newspapers. Why should we select you')
Now now now.. When u see insults of such high range, other things seem very small to u.. Thanks to Einstein and his theory of relativity.. Thats wat drives people..

After the dust got settled, I did realize that I got an unexpected college at an unxpected time.

Astrology won it this time. I was out of words.

Comments

well you have written in a hurry i reckon... u missed out on ur good starts and moreover u took this post very relaxed....

but kind of okie cause u score again with ur english... let alone the colloquial dialogues...

Popular Posts