Forrest says 'I gotta pee!!!'

If anyone asks me what is the best film I have seen so far, I wouldn't even blink before saying 'Forrest Gump'..

A very simple story told in the most enchanting of ways.. After i saw the film, I thought what made me wait 14 yrs before watching this master piece.. But I was happy that I had seen such a gem of a film atleast then..

One casual day, a few years after watching the film, I stumbled up on a DVD which had the tagline 'Best books made to films'.. I saw Forrest there and since then I had been eager to read that book, written by Winston Groom, and draw parallels with the film, directed by Robert Zemeckis..

But that was not to happen until my kindle came.. May be the book was destined to be read in my kindle as its first book.. It was indeed an honor for my kindle n me!!

Now coming to the parallels.. The Forrest I saw on screen and the Forrest I read about are different.. Groom's Gump and Robert's Gump are vastly different.. Never knew the original Forrest would weigh 242 pounds(104 kgs) and is more than 6feet high.. Tom Hanks looked like he will be blown away by the slightest of winds!! If his love Jenny Curran was coming in very few scenes in the film, here she occupies a meaty part of it.. Infact she wants to be with him life long, and Gump does something silly.. Also the impact of the mother was very less in the book.. Instead the role of Sue, an Orangutan, comes along in the second half and is Gump's best friend along with Bubba, Dan and Jenny..


As I kept on reading the book I understood that the director just took 20% of the incidents which Gump experienced and told it in his own style.. So I became eager to know the rest 80% and boy, it was a complete roller coaster.. It made me smile, laugh my heart out, made me think and brought tears at last!! The same feelings I experienced in the film too!!

When I saw the film I came to know that Gump was a high school playback, Army Private, Ping pong player, Shrimp business man, a runner.. and what more all-in-one!! I was full of surprise.. But when I read the book, gosh!! It was only the tip of the iceberg..

In the book.. Gump's career moves as follows:
American Football player- Math genius- Private- Ping pong player- Astronaut- Farmer- Harmonica player- Chain pot taker- Wrestler- Chess player- Hollywood actor- Business man- Traveller..

Gosh!! I m tired.. He does so much and you don't get questions in your mind like how!! You just enjoy what is presented to you.. Everytime Forrest says 'I gotta pee', you can fasten your seat belts.. The next adventure is just a few pages after..

Also full credits to Robert.. This film is what I call 'Truly inspired'.. You would get the essence of it once you finish both.. The director doesn't blindly copies what is there.. That is something many people have to learn..

At the end of the day, I love both the book and the film.. I would highly recommend both..

Comments

Popular Posts