A day at TED talks..

Its been long time since I typed a blog post.. I just came to my room after attending a TED talks session.. I have become a big fan of 2 TEDs now.. One is TED talks and other the lead character in 'How I met your mother'..

For now, my post is on the talks.. Over the internet heard some good speeches on  nurturing creativity, love, passion etc.. They were too good.. And I was wondering if I would be able to  hear those talks live.. Once I came to know that a session was to be held in Chennai, I readily accepted.. It was from TEDx youth..  

First timer for me here.. 5 talks were classy..

One of the talks was from an IIT grad who turned a farmer.. He clearly explained the crisis of Indian agri scenario.. China produces 600 tonnes of a grain while we produce only 230 tonnes.. The root problem is in soil testing labs.. There is no govt approved ones and that he sent different samples under different names only to get the same report for all the soil samples!! The speaker went as far as Nebraska to evaluate his soil and get the right results..  We all laughed once we heard that.. But it is a very hard hitting truth.. Our country still lacks many basic needs.. We dunno what we people do to change all that? All of us want to become millionaires and get the best food.. But who will produce all the grains if everyone shuns away.. the speaker stressed that there is a lot of money involved too.. But that no one sees it.. On a funny note he said 'agri would be the only field where u might get most subsidies.. y worry!!!'.. Ha ha ha.. After the talk got over, one of my frnds asked 'Sir what is the biggest challenge u faced in this farming business?' 'Everything is a huge challenge with our crooked system. The broccoli you are growing to grow doesn't know if its growing in Chennai or ooty'. Once again laughs.. 

The next good talk was from 2 high school students from Riverside, Ahmedabad.. I dunno what I was doing in high school other than talk about cartoons, play cricket, and hit the books.. If I score less than 1130 I might not get good college to study.. But these kids were a revelation.. To say that their school curriculum was bizzare would be an abomination.. I wont say so.. It was innovative and path breaking.. They teach thro dance, sports, plays etc.. Its not bookish at all.. Those guys talk things which I think after 24 yrs.. 'To do what you like to do and its important to follow it'.. And most important of all they are doing it at a very young age!! They received a standing ovation..

The next standing ovation went to Chetan Korada.. A budding champion kart racer getting into the big league.. Kart racing is his passion and the guy had to take care of his business too in order to feed him.. Well what is out of place here? Aren't there guys, though few, like that?? Except that he dint have legs since birth.. He has prosthetic legs and drives the usual car which all others use.. No special provisions.. He was asked by many people 'Well you could have tried your hand at chess or carrom or even TT where there is less movement.. Why trouble with racing..' His simple answer 'It's my passion and my absence of legs can't be a reason for my not following'.. Generally racing people have huge financial support from family.. The dads take care of the finances while the son just focuses on his driving.. Chetan couldn't afford it.. He had to finish his education before entering into racing and also look after business.. After the talk he told 'I always push my boundaries.. I hope  you are doing it too'

I was clueless..

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'd like to find out more? I'd want to find out more details.


My blog ... best cellulite treatment

Popular Posts