Seeds of Fortune - Part 1

'I am home early'
Each of these words is very significant to me today. Until 3 weeks back, I had used more of us and we than 'I'. 'Home' was a word I preferred not to use. 'Early' is a word I had banished from the dictionary. Having used all these words now, I wanted to do something which I had not done over a long time.. Write a blog!!

Before I dwell upon my procrastination, I need to revisit my first year!! Every story has to have a logical beginning. Ain’t it??? 

Here goes mine.. 
I was fresh from my trip to the north; my first solo backpacker trip. Don’t know why but every time I think of it, I feel more proud to have gone on that trip. I got to understand the mindset of heroes who pack their bags to find themselves. It was such a kind of trip for me too.

When I came from the trip, I could sense an aura of silence around me. I loved it. Every second of it. It was like you have been chasing a butterfly for so long but couldn’t get hold of it. And then after a point of time, you stop and the butterfly sits on your shoulder. You cherish the moment. It was a period where I knew the butterfly was on my shoulder, I acknowledged its presence and still dint make any dance-in-the-rain moves. Well, that was also precisely the time I wrote my bucket list sitting on the shores of the Ganges at Haridwar. The drama around it couldn’t have been scripted better. I truly felt on top of the world!!

And within a week of that, I started my journey at DoMS. You should also bear in mind the fact that I had been totally concentrated to do MBA and I had been writing every exam in the world to do what I wanted to do and that involved staying clear of TCS. Those were rare days when my mind and heart wanted the same thing. 

So, DoMS is a gift which I had gifted myself after 3 yrs of staunch hard work. So naturally, I wanted to be a good learner; but class topper is a foul word any day. To experiment a lot, to explore a lot of new things with new friends and say to the world that I tried something which I had never done before. I wanted to learn all topics in my MBA and ace them. Succinctly put, I wanted it to be a new delicacy with a new aroma served in the best crockery. 

Got to know my classmates whom I had seen previously in Facebook. They were a good assorted bunch of guys. I had that burning feel inside 'Oh man, I should be among the best'.

Classes started. And what started with full fire became a damp squid in a week. I slept in practically all classes. Tanked in all tests. Did poorly in exams. And what not? I was active only outside of classrooms. Inside the class was all greek and latin!! And, naturally my grades dipped below 7.5. 

The problem with grade system is that once it’s down, its more than an uphill task to be on level ground. 

The presence of DC++ didn’t augment my cause either. You see, I have got a wishlist of movies which I should see before I die. And there is no point in me dying without finishing that wishlist. What will happen if all you had wished to see is served on one go in blu-ray rips?? Naturally it brings in problems with priorities. Somewhere somehow my priorities got changed with my notice. I don’t have any answer to it as I was in state of mind which said 'There is nothing like you should do X to be successful. You can be successful by any way. Studies or no studies doesn’t make any difference'. 

Thought Provoking Sitcoms
In that state of conflict, I was over addicted to movies. And one fine day, a friend asked me 'Why don’t u try sitcoms?? They are pretty good'. 'No man, I see only movies'. 'Just give it a try. If you don’t like it, drop it. Big deal'. That seemed a good enough proposition. I started with How I met your mother and saw Big bang theory, Prison break and now with Friends. I finished some seasons during my peak exam time. I read Ponniyin Selvan and also went on a himalayan adventure during this period. In DoMS, we have been used to studying only in the last 2 weeks and even that was not used. 

I found that in my madness, I didn’t learn the basics which I was supposed to learn. And that hurt me. The problem with me is that I show spots of brilliance. It’s not repetitive. 3rd quarter is when I got decent grades.

Then compre came. I should say that I studied a lot more in those 4 days than I had studied in the last 10 months. I was happy with the effort. I found that some of the subjects to be really interesting and I wondered how I got poor grades in those. I knew it was too late to talk of grades now but I was wondering how I had become so lackadaisical. 

Anyways, Compre turned out to be a much needed breather for me before my internship. 

To be continued.

Comments

Sastha said…
well written da..but!!!...u wer wit me durin compre preps in doms n i saw u more engossed in F.R.I.E.N.D.S rather than books..:P..anyways,waiting for more..:)
Nishith said…
Good one machi!!! Aptly written!!
anjali said…
Good one Sada..Keep it up!!

Popular Posts