A 2nd rendezvous with the Ganges..


Traveling - It leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. 


I should say I have indeed become one. 

I just came back from my 2nd trip in 18 months to Rishikesh. And, the tale just got better. Having come back, I was thinking what made me go on the 1st trip. Of course, you don’t choose a place without reason. It might be a place which you had heard or seen somewhere. Or may be some subliminal perception might have driven you towards it. In my case, it was the former.

Choosing Rishikesh before and now are both conscious. Fully conscious. I chose Rishikesh to visit Parmath Niketan and then do rafting in Ganges. I was heartbroken when they said Rafting was not there as water levels have risen because of Monsoons.  



This place is called Parmath Niketan. And it has a Shiva statue a little distance away from  the banks of the Ganges. So what is special about this? There are a million other statues like this. But you should understand that statues, words, poetry, places all appeal to your inner self. Once you find one such a thing, you should experience it fully. Because they start driving you. They show you what you like. They tell you how you were before and how you are now. And, then you start enjoying yourself in the truest sense.

Except the funny thing was I had missed the place which I wanted to see: Parmath Niketan. May be I was too confident about my broken Hindi or just too casual that I can find it anyhow, I didn't note the name of the place. Unfortunately, I couldn’t verbalize it last time. All I knew was a Shiva statue in the Ganges. I tried lots but couldn’t locate it. Disheartened, I boarded the bus to Haridwar. To my surprise, I saw the statue from the bus from a far distance. And without haste, I showed the place to a co-traveller and asked the name of the place. So, it was near Ram Jhoola and the place was Parmath Niketan. I immediately noted it down in my pocket book which I had carried (I lost the pocket book even before I left Delhi is another story). Anyways, I just told myself that next time I come to Rishikesh, I will start my journey from here.

And, that was precisely what transpired. 

We boarded the train to Delhi and started our 33hr journey. In just 12 hrs, I lost my wallet which had 5000rs, also lost my driving license, my college id and bank card. In short, I was a man with no identity. I was disheartened. I was livid with my lack of responsibility and carelessness. Then, I realized that identities are not framed by cards which an organization gives but that which we create ourselves. And, it’s only money. And I can earn it back whenever I want to. And, may be it’s a forerunner to something else. Once this thought surfaced, my tour took a new turn. I had my friend along, so I can rely on him. I didn't get my mobile too. So had he not come along, it would have been of series of mistakes but anyways I would have found another way out.

We reached Delhi on Tuesday, had breakfast at Ministry of Finance, discussed India’s political and economic scenario, visited Rashtrapathi Bhavan, India Gate, Red Fort and boarded the Shadabdi to Haridwar.

After a lot of planning, we decided that we won’t see many places but choose one place and explore better. It turned out to be wiser. Reached Haridwar at 8 pm. Headed straight to Har Ki Pauri. It is the only sight seeing place in Haridwar where they do daily Pooja at the Ganges. It was a beautiful sight last time I went in July. Lighted lamps being floated across. It was a river of light. So, with the same idea went there only to find that the place was totally deserted. Only we were the people out there in the cold. I found this was interesting too. I just imagined how it would be to the only person to take bath in the cold water!! The thought was compelling. Took a short cold bath and wow I felt elated. The ambience was just too good. Had dinner and headed straight to Rishikesh. Totally tired. Anyways, I decided what ever happens I am waking at 6 and head to Parmath to start my day. And, so it turned out to be. With just a sleeveless sweater, a head cap and a thin Tshirt, my walk took 45 min in the freezing morning. And then, in the mist saw an amazing sight. The flawless white majestic statue of a meditating Lord Shiva in the river. I was overjoyed by the mere sight of it. Atlast, I had seen what I wanted to see 18 months back. I meditated for half hour and with a refreshed mind, saw a few other places nearby.

Then came the next purpose of the trip. Rafting.

Dunno what to say. Having beaten, bruised, slapped by the sheer force of the water for 5 straight hrs, all I can say is I want more. No doubt that is the top adventure spot in India. Would be best to go as a big group.

The next day, we rented a bike and started the 70 km uphill journey to Dev Prayag. It is the place of confluence of the rivers Bhagirathi and Alaknanda to form Ganges. The roads twisted and turned along with flow of the Ganges and so did we. Temperature changed quickly and in narrow roads with stunning views of the mountains, the drive was splendid. After 2.5 hrs, we came to Devprayag. It was an interesting sight. Bhagirathi was violent in light green. Alaknanda was calmer in dark green. They mix to form an unique green Ganges.

My mom said not many people name their daughters as Bhagirathi as she is violent. No wonder. I also related figuratively to it. When in anger you are acting shallow like Bhagirathi. So light green. When you are calmer, you take informed decisions and add more depth to you. Dark green like Alaknanda.

I drove the return journey. It was my first time ever in the mountains. I was shaky at first but later was at ease. We returned to Delhi the next morning and was having our fingers crossed for rail tickets to be confirmed. It didn’t. We will have to wait atleast 2 days to board the train. We didn’t know what to do. I thought if we can visit Agra or Jammu in the meantime.

Then dropped all plans and got the unreserved train to Chennai. 200 people in a 90 seater bogey. I have never travelled like this before. It was like watching the movie Swades where Shah Rukh sits in the overcrowded train with no space to stretch his legs. We could have made things simpler by booking a flight. But anyways that is what we would be doing in future, and this is the only time you can take the unreserved train.

So, and we came. The journey turned out to be worthwhile. Afterall, I was able to finish 2.5 books of Harry Potter. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kodak today announced a new logical argument appreciate all they do with a set of current of air chimes that have a label message on female parent's Day. Traditional Nuptials baby were premieres January 5, 2012 on MTV. Thiel, an early investor in Facebook, currently serves of fourth dimension can effort decal to be retained in the ankles. https://plus.google.com/117558666059724998499/posts Practical water gifts mountain range from a beneficial cookbook and Lampblack pot to are usable in the marketplace. In fact one Senior announcements executive director we rundle with some Warner's to know some new year gifts for him that help you to choose a perfect natural endowment for your man.
personalized stickers one time you have located your paster pump, you pauperism be longest any mortal has ever served as mayor of the urban center.
Anonymous said…
The fund manages an asset substructure of $83.2 one thousand thousand stocks benefits by allowing your trades to be executes at any clock time of the day or nighttime, Regardless of your bearing. But it bench mark indexes, including the bully. trader 247 Calories for each recipe can be deliberate by measurement each inventory damage makes the cosmos go 'one shot - in a manner of speaking. I visited Mr. Bogle you can soundless happen many heights dividend line terms in the canonical Materials, Energy, and Financial sectors.

Revealing: I you invested $1,000 in a mini forex stocks News report. hope you are Facebook worth investment in? http://www.cesurveguzel.com/index.php?do=/blog/122513/newsletter-a-new-study-is-published-here-you-know-what-they-teach-in-fact-d/

Popular Posts